#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 08:40
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%
Default A little experiment - apple cider vinegar

My mother swears by this stuff - she's been trying to get me to drink it for years. I pulled up some information yesterday that compared apple cider vinegar to metformin regarding blood sugar. So, yesterday I pulled out my bottle of Bragg's apple cider vinegar, which is organic and ulfiltered. It's supposed to be full of amino acids and good for all sorts of things. My mother said you just put it in shot glass and toss it back! I DON'T THINK SO - that sent me into a major coughing fit - man, that stuff is nasty. I tried mixing about a tablespoon with 8 ounces of water and drinking it - still bad enough to gag a maggot, but I got it down. I did this just before lunch yesterday and before breakfast this morning.

I ate my usual low-carb meal, usually less than 15 grams of carbs per meal. I try to stay under 50 grams of carbs per day, with the carbs spread out fairly evenly over each meal - my carbs are almost always non-starchy vegetables, and my blood sugars stay fairly consistent eating that way.

Interestingly, my 2-hour blood sugars without the vinegar over the last few days were 147, 129, 134, 132, 135, which are definitely down on their own by just reducing my carbs.

HOWEVER, the really interesting thing was my two blood sugars (2-hour after eating) after gagging down the vinegar - 110 and 117! I had vegetables with both of those meals, and I never get readings that low!

Anyway, I just had to toss this out for discussion/comments. I'm going to keep researching the subject and keep experimenting with it. Maybe my mother was right?!
Sponsored Links