Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 19:53
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
Well, none of this links convinced me that GS is a miracle herb. All of the above either suggesting (may) that GS regenerates B-cells, or number of samples was too small, or studies were conducted on rats, or in vitro, and/or in addition to insulin and diabetic meds. I am not arguing it does not work, I simply would like to see a long term studies conducted with a large number of samples.
The mechanism of how GS raises insulin level is also not clear, and may be similar to sulfonylurea class of antidiabetic drugs that work by making betta cells to manufacture more insulin, and expedite complete exhaustion and falure. Since T2 diabetics have already more than enough circulating insulin (and so are hypoglycemics), it's not such a good idea to increase insulin.

Malnourishment and vitamin/mineral defficiencies can be easily measured and detected by simple blood test and/or hair analysis, and not all diabetics are deficient. Interesting, that my MD who suggested to try GS, warned me that it should be working within a month, if it does not, no point to try further. So I took it for a month, and then stopped, and then again re-started thinking may be I need more time, and I am still taking it to finish off the supply Ibought a whole load to save on shipping). Then I will stop and see if my BGs will take a hike. This is the onyl way to tell if it was doing anything at all.
What I do know, that 45 minutes brisk walk before breakfast lowers my BGs 30-40 points , and keeps it low for hours (even after a meal), and it does not make my already compromised pancrease to release even more insulin and make me gain more weight. I can see how cinnemon, ACV and any acidic food for this matter, even ALA can help to keep Bgs from spiking too high after a meal. But what helps with higher than normal FBG aka DP, this is still a mystery for me.
The only way to keep this desease at bay, is to eat right and exercise, and may be take some supplements if one is on a very strict diet and can't meet RDA requirements and beyond it.
But as always YMMV, so good luck to those who see great results from the supplements.
Your doctor is correct. Gymnema sylvestre either works or it doesn't. If the beta cells in the pancreas don't need healing, gymnema sylvestre has no effect and you have to look for other supplements to control the diabetes. That's probably why I get such good results with the mix of supplements I suggest. They all work on a specific portion of the diabetic condition.