#2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-20-00, 18:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation re: ketostix

I used 'em when I first started back in July. Never got above trace, but since I was losing weight steadily (but slow) I just gave up and went by the scales and how my clothes fit. Since I'm trying Stillman's stallbuster at the present time, I thought it might be useful to keep track again but in spite of 0 carb intake, I was still only measuring trace. Note - I only check once a day, after supper.

Clue: the ketostix had been opened 6 months ago, sitting on a shelf in my bathroom. Cure: buy fresh ketostix. What do you know?? I'm testing moderate, which is where I should be at this minimal carb level. Need to push the water a bit more though to keep 'em flushed out.

I think that during Induction, or very low-carb states such as a fast or stallbuster, testing for ketones is a useful indicator that you're on track. And some people need the reinforcement of seeing the ketone production, helps keep the motivation strong.

During OWL though, I'm not convinced it's necessary, as long as you're losing at a steady rate. Then, if a stall strikes, it's useful to measure just to see where some dietary or other change is in order.

Just my opinion, I know some are adamant that you check religiously throughout the weight loss period.

Doreen