View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 06:03

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

If they're not ready to make a permanenet change, then it's unlikely anything you say will sway them. There's nothing wrong with going low-carb for weight loss temporarily (well, nothing more wrong than using any other diet for the same purposes). For long-term change, people have to come to the decision on their own. It's hard to watch loved ones do something you know is a mistake, but, unfortunately, human such as we are, we have to each learn in our own time.

I vehemently fought the idea of having weight loss surgery for YEARS even though I was more than 200 pounds upon entering high school. Doctors and friends I knew who had had bariatric procedures tried to talk to me about it, but I never seriously considered it as an option for myself. Until I was ready and made that decision on my own.

While a diet isn't quite the same as a surgical procedure, it follows the same premise that people need to come to these types of decisions on their own. The best thing you can do is be a shining example and then be a wealth of information when they come seeking guidance.