View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 08:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

A stall is technically losing no weight or inches for four weeks. But if you feel you're stalled, hey, go with it. I know if I didn't see any change in results in two weeks, I'd be switching it up. As I said in that other thread, the originator of this idea (on this board) said she'd wait 'til she saw the same number on the scale every day for three days, then she'd start a carb up cycle.

I have tried this and it's worked for me. When I did it I didn't carb up for as long, but that's because I was doing it more intuitively and not according to any sort of plan. On Friday morning I'd start my carb up by making sure to add calories and mainly good carbs (though this didn't always work, sometimes I was REALLY liberal with what I ate) and maintained this until Sunday evening. On Saturday night I'd usually go out, have a regular meal (i.e., with whatever incidental carbs came with my meal) and some cocktails. I usually gained about one or two pounds during carb up, but if I kept my carbs healthful and contained, sometimes I'd even lose. Go figure!

On Monday I'd carb down by going to strict induction and stay on it until the next Friday, when I'd carb up again. Once I was doing this regularly, usually by Tuesday any weight I'd gained over the weekend was long gone (then again, I tend to get into ketosis with 24 hrs). By Friday, if I needed to lose (as opposed to maintain, which cycling is good for, as well), I'd be down a fresh pound or two. Initially I'd weigh constantly to see precisely what my body was doing during carb up and carb down, but after awhile I stopped weighing generally, except for Fridays. It always worked for me; I should have stuck to it!

But then, you know, LIFE happens. So here I am, back again. I'm going to start cycling too as soon as the weight stops dropping, but when I do I'll be carb "upping" for four days, not three. FWIW, I've been doing meat and egg for a week and I've lost six pounds, so I'm pretty thrilled with that. When the weight stalls, though, I'm cycling. Also, when I feel more comfortable with my weight and can either take it slower or simply need to maintain, I'm cycling.

Hope this helps.