View Single Post
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 17:38

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

I'm not at goal yet, and wasn't even near it for a couple of years, but one thing I'd like to mention as far as my psyche goes is that the closer I get to goal the more little disappointments start to creep into my experience. As near as I can figure, the prospect of actually ATTAINING goal when you feel you are quite overweight involves a lot of vague fantasies about just how wonderful BEING at goal will be once you get there. These fantasies may not be clearly conscious but they are there. Things like: being at goal means I will feel great all the time, or I'll get the job of my dreams, or I'll never feel anxious, or maybe even something big like my husband/mother/father will love me--- things that we are only vaguely aware of thinking. Inevitably there is some letdown upon reaching goal as these bubbles burst. They may burst consciously or unconsciously. You might then decide to "adjust" your goal downward so as to attain the impossible dreams. Or you might get angry, feel cheated, and re-gain some of the fat because being at goal was so disappointing. I already know I'll be thrilled for about 5 seconds when I reach goal, and then I'll immediately want to adjust my goal downwards, but that's just me.

Missydog