View Single Post
  #167   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 11:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Fri p.m.: Went home and did 30 min. pool jogging.

Sat. a.m. met with aunt and cousin from out-of-town to put flowers on grandparents graves. Aunt brought homemade caramel rolls, and tried to talk me into eating one. I think she was insulted when I refused. I know she does not understand low carb, so I just told her that eating even one bite would stop my weight loss and set me back 3 days, and her response was ‘so what?’ I did not cave in – sat and watched all of the rest of them eat the rolls. (That is, all but my daughter and son-in-law – my daughter does not care for sweets, never has, and son-in-law had just eaten and was not hungry. But to avoid my aunt’s feeling insulted, he took one ‘to go’ in a sandwich bag.) I wish people would just understand that refusing food is not an insult or a reflection on their cooking ability. I suppose my aunt just felt disappointed because she had taken the time and made the effort to make something special, then so many people were not eating it. Both my aunt and her daughter are very obese, and the idea of not eating something because of your weight is foreign to them – neither of them understands that concept. They accept their weight and choose to do nothing about it – and that’s their decision and their business. But it would be nice if they could support someone else who is trying to do something about their weight instead of disparaging the idea and trying to sabotage the person’s efforts.

Sat: afternoon -- 30 min. pool jogging. It was beautiful weather! Stuck completely to diet all weekend in spite of many other temptations (besides the caramel rolls). Son had a ‘pool party’ on Sat. – had 3 boys over after their Boy Scout fishing trip. I bought the ingredients so they could do a ‘build your own banana splits’ break – lots of ice creams (sugar-free), toppings, whip cream, bananas, sprinkles, etc. They had a great time! There were only 4 nine-year-olds, but they ate an entire half-gallon of ice cream and a whole can of whipped cream!

Sun: Rested – no particular exercise. Just church, read newspaper, relaxed in pool, cooked – invited daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter over for swimming and dinner. Made turkey breast on the grill; zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and Parmesan cheese dish; fresh asparagus; and corn on the cob (I did not eat the corn). They made banana splits from the rest of the ice cream and toppings for dessert (I abstained). Weather was beautiful all weekend!

Mon: 4:30 a.m. – did 3 miles on treadmill – 45 min. – incline 4 – 9; speed about 4.0 mph – burned more than 400 calories. I have to work until 5:00 today, so had extra time this morning – could go into work later. Also, it’s going to rain, so no walk at lunch. Since I won’t get home until 5:30 today, then need to cook dinner and help with homework, etc., I won’t get in any more aerobic exercise today. Want to do some weights after work, though – need to get back into the weight training, but I do not want to increase my carbs. In spite of showing pink on the ketostix, I up 2 pounds from Saturday. Hopefully from not drinking enough water – I know I did not drink enough all weekend – but today am doing great. Or, could be from less exercise over the weekend – seems like I need a LOT of exercise to keep losing weight, and if I can’t get enough in, I gain weight. Hope this will not be permanent – if I reach a point in my life when I cannot exercise for any reason (injury, illness, old age, etc.), that would be a major problem. I would like to think that at some time I could take a day or two off or take a vacation and not need to worry about regaining a few pounds. It really stinks to work so hard and it takes weeks or months to lose the weight and only days to gain it back!