View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:15

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%
Talking Coconut oil & seborrheic dermatitis

Okay....I truly believe it's official now 'cuz my scalp has been completely free and clear of ANY signs of seborrhea for 7 months now!

Here's my story: At 13 (puberty for most of us females), I suddenly developed thick white patches on my scalp that would not go away no matter what I did or used (i.e. dandruff shampoos, etc.) It has been a great source of misery and embarrassment for me my entire life since then! (When DH & I were first dating, the wind blew my hair, he saw it and said, "What's that? The MANGE!!" - ok, so I still married him cuz he apologized PROFUSELY & sweetly) I did finally see a dermatologist (for a different reason) and he diagnosed me with "seborriasis" cuz it looked like seborrhea but migrated to different parts of my head like psoriasis would do, gave me some medicated gel but I didn't use it cuz it made my hair look greasy & oily (I'm not a vain person but in an office......)

Last October (and 30+ yrs after the seborriasis first started), after 6 months on Atkins and a few months on this forum, I started researching coconut oil. My hair had been doing the falling out thing for a few months and I was getting desperate - didn't want to be bald w/ white patches all over the place!

So, I took some coconut oil, warmed it a bit in the microwave, and slathered it all over my scalp & hair, put on a shower cap, then a towel, sat around for about an hour, then hopped in the shower and washed my hair. I did that twice a week for 3 weeks - after the first 3 times, my scalp was COMPLETELY CLEAR - but I did it 3 more times just to make sure! That was 7 months ago...I haven't used the coconut oil on my scalp since...and it's STILL completely clear! I have been able to wear dark colored tops all winter long without worrying once about flaking onto my shirts! (Just breathing before would send a cascade of flakes before!) My scalp is pink & healthy looking, my hair has been coming back in (of course, that could be just the normal cycle of things now that my body has adjusted to LCing), and I'm no longer frantic on windy days!

This is just my experience but wanted to share in case anyone else was having the same problem - I even had my son use it on my granddaughter's scalp for her cradle cap!

Just one more thing that coconut oil has done for me!

Ellen
Sponsored Links