#11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 07:49

Plan: Almost vegan,lowGI,lowfat
Stats: 270/236/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbar69
I admit I too am noticing I don't feel quite as focused or energized as I am on high fat and lots of protein (when I was eating tons and tons of meat...lol) I was kinda hoping it is because my TOM is due this week but who knows. I am really frustrated. I don't eat anything with sugar but I am noticing my morning oatmeal doesn't stay with me like my morning eggs used to. It seems like when I eat oatmeal or flax cereal for breakfast I am hungry all day. I also tried doing just fruit for breakfast but I have the same issues. Don't quite know what the answers are for me right now. I am leaving for vactaion on Saturday and I am a bit worried about what I am going to eat all week. I plan to take some things with me since we are staying in a condo we will be eating in more than out but the temptations to fall off the wagon will be smacking me in the face each day. lol

This is a great thread and thanks to all who are engaging in it! Now I have more books to read which makes me a happy camper, and it's nice to know that there are others out there with the same mindset

kimbar69, are you eating enough protein, or enough, period? Just like low carbing, it took me a couple of weeks to get the refined sugar cr~p out of my system and start to feel better.

The 30 Day Diabetes Miracle Diet (I hate that name, it sounds like it's a bad tv ad! So I'll just say LCA) says to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper...I know, different than Skinny Bitch which says to just eat a piece of fruit for breaky. You gotta do what works for you (if you're starving, it will just make you want to eat more...). I don't have my LCA book here at home, it's at work right now, but they advise eating about 45 carbs/meal, with dinner just being soup and salad and a piece of fruit. But for breaky, not only eating the oatmeal with flax, but a cup of blueberries, a serving of beans, and non-dairy milk. So maybe you are not eating enough?

I don't like heavy breakfast myself, so I try to make a smoothie in the morning with frozen berries, 1/2 banana, 1 apple, 1.5 cups spinach, flax, cooked quinoa, and I usually throw in some tofu for protein (I hear you about being unfocused without it). And just a smidgen of apple juice, a cup of water, and some ice.

I always roast some good veggies (oven at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes, toss in olive oil and balsamic, top with a little kosher salt - asparagus, broccoli, eggplant, turnip, and a little bit of yams and beets) on Sunday evening and have a big container to keep them in so I have something to eat if I'm hungry..that helps.

I have had no problem eating vegan/almost vegetarian when going out...the clue is to have good snacks available for inbetween times! Nuts, fruit, even processed stuff like bars from the health food store is better than getting something really bad. I've been able to eat veg at every restaurant I've been to - sometimes you just gotta ask for subs...for example, we went to Mimi's Cafe and they had a great-sounding salad with chicken on it...I asked them to sub out the chicken on it for a cut up garden burger...it was delicious. I eat dairy sometimes...so even at In and Out Burger I get a grilled cheese, tastes just like what In and Out always did to me, just without the revolting meat...of course, still high fat so that is just a treat once in a blue moon...

Ok gotta go to work...I'll bring the book home in case you have questions...I can post an average meal day too.