Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 07:28

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
Debbie,
Unfortunately, Ray Peat has never written a "diet book" of what to eat. Debbie (Live Simply) created this thread for that reason, to help people be able to get as much info as possible in one place on Peat's recommendations. She and Scarlet and I did a lot of research on various websites and asked Ray Peat himself some questions and pooled our collective knowledge on this thread.

And I thank you for it! It's a great thread indeed, and I've enjoyed reading it all from beginning to end. I'm starting to read some of the Peat articles too, and seeing what else I can find out about his suggested eating plan online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B
.Lita Lee is a scientist who studied with Ray Peat and incorporates a lot of his recommendations in her dietary advice on her website. She has a fact sheet on thyroid resistance which sums up a lot of the Peat recommendations in a bit more clear cut manner, both in terms of what NOT to eat, and what to eat. However, there is one error. She recommends 25 grams of protein but omitted, "3 times a day". In other words, like Peat, she recommends consuming at least 75 grams of protein a day.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that also.
Quote:
A typical day for me would be the breakfast I described in a previous post. Then I might have a snack of some cheese and orange juice, or some orange "jello" (home made) with sweetened whipped cream. He also recommends eating a raw carrot, shredded, with coconut oil or olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar. Dinner is usually pot roast, served with the gelatinous broth, or shell fish, or sometimes steak or ground beef, served with mashed potatoes or fried potatoes. If I don't have gelatinous broth with the protein, I make sure to have "jello" right after the meal. (Again, this is homemade, with fruit juice, sugar, and gelatin.)
Just last night while lying in bed I got thinking about making my own homemade "jello" to have with whipped cream, since I don't care for gelatinous broths or broths of any sort. Does he recommend any other juices besides OJ? It's never been a fave of mine, though maybe ok as a jello.
Quote:
Then I might have some Haagen Dazs before bed. Peat recommended ice cream before bed to help reduce the release of stress hormones in the night, which keep me awake. It has really been helping with my sleep.

He is a big fan of dairy, so he encourages drinking milk, which I don't really care for. He also recommends cheese, and says that in some ways this is preferable, because tryptophan is found in the whey, not the curds.

Ice cream! I love it so much I'd have a big problem trying to limit my portions I'm afraid. Eating an entire pint at one sitting would be nothing for me.

I'm not a fan of milk drinking either - but could see making milk custards perhaps, and I *adore* cream and cheese - among my fave foods. I get bootleg raw heavy cream every couple weeks and it's wonderful stuff.
Quote:
He says if you do want to consume a grain, masa harina would be the best choice.
I just bought some masa harina yesterday, though I'm still not totally sure what I might do with it.