Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 19:16
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiev1
Well have you reached your goal doing what youre doing. Oh and I was not undereating I was eating 2,000 calories a day and actually preserved more muscle mass because I ate no carbs.
I've found this interview with Dr.Ellis on the web and here is one abstract
Question: Do you consume any carbohydrates at all in your current regimen?
Answer:
Quote:
I keep it as low as I can. I cannot tell you whether zero is really better than 60 grams. I know that most people will not be that strict with carbohydrates. I do think that it is better if you can do it. What people do not understand is that the minute you eat carbohydrates, it is converted into glucose and then fat. The main purpose of carbohydrates is to be converted into fat. The eating of carbohydrates induces a nutritional and hormonal profile that favors deposition of body fat. If you get your overall carb intake below 25% of calories you will begin to get positive results. You don't have to go ridiculously low such as 20-40 grams to receive benefits.
The entire interview can be read in
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler11.htm
This agrees with Atkins concept, that some need to restrict carbs to 20g, while others can manage a bit more. So, except for calories management, I don't see such a big difference. It's absolutely true that we want to "feed the muscles and starve the fat" in order to get lean, so makes sense to estimate your caloric intake based on one's lean body mass.