Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Helen's and Richard's Stories

The edition of CAD I'm quoting from is the 1993 edition

Rachel's Story

Quote:
p2 I attempted to lose weight on my own, trying every weight-loss method that magazines and television had to offer…The diets worked for a week, a month, or occasionally a couple of months. In the end though they all failed…..For the next fifteen years I tried an unending series of diets. There were pills prescription, over-the-counter. I tried water pills…Fasting and a variety of exercise regimens were also on my did not work list from those years, as are familiar names like Stillman, Atkins, Weight Watchers, and Pritikin.
Quote:
P2The pattern may sound familiar. At first, I would stick to my newest diet scrupulously. Gradually I would be tempted to begin cheating. In time, staying on the diet would become more and more difficult. I’d suppress the urge to eat, but then I’d slip. It would be occasional at first, then more often. …Often I would gain back more than I had lost. I tried some programs several times, reasoning that since they had worked for a while, the results would last if only I tried harder. I did, but they didn’t.
Quote:
P3 OA was another way…Liquid fasts came next for me, followed by behavior modification training, stomach stapling, Weight Watchers (again) and even hypnotism…It was the same pattern over and over. I would find a “cure”, follow it, buy it, or submit to it—and sometimes I would lose some weight. Then within a matter of months, I would begin to gain it back…I was unable to find a permanent solution, or one that would get me to my target weight for a month or even a minute. And each time another diet failed, I felt like a failure.

Richard's Story

Quote:
p5 I tried a variety of techniques to trim down. Most of them worked—in the short term. I’d adhere strictly to the program, but one little compromise would lead to another. Pretty soon there were whole days during which I never quite got started on the diet.

Quote:
p6 I ran every morning and worked up to a total of forty-two miles a week. I kept it up for more than two year…I felt wonderful—but I never lost a pound.