View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 18:11

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Bonnie, Dr Atkins was all about moving from 20 carbs a day to more after the 2 weeks of Induction. I eat a far wider variety of veg since starting DANDR almost 20 years ago. Partly because we have a great variety in the stores now.

I eat little fruit because in reality a wise choice of vegies will get you the same nutrients as the fruits. Look to the rainbow, and use the glycemic index for help if need be. I do eat some fruit, but have learned it is ok to cut up an apple and eat only 1/4. ANd I look for the smaller sizes at the grocery. I keep frozen fruits like cherries and blueberries and strawberries in the freezer , but only take out a few at a time. Basically I depend on the boxed organic mixed greens to help. ANd sometimes I sautee them in butter, or other tasty fat.

A chef mentioned this monring that raddichio becomes sweet when it is sauteed--- "who knew?" -- is the chef's favorite saying.

Beef. This is one of my fav meats. So I thought about how to decrease the inflammation in my body--- my hands flare up these days if I fall off the wagon. Here is my understanding so far. Beef is a meat with marbling-- meaning the fat stay within the meat during cooking for the most part. Whereas chicken and poultry will have the fat deposits on the outside in chunks; the dark meat has some fats with in the meat and white breast meat is very lean. When livestock are fed a corn/soy diet this lacks vita min A and the fat content is altered: the omega 3's are much higher in grass fed than in feed lot fed cattle/ cows. Once a grass fed animal is moved to a feed lot the omega 3 drops and the omega 6 rises. We are supposed to be about 1;4 mega 3 to 6's. IMO this is why studies of people eating ONE fish oil is not changing the blood profiles. Hard for one pill to outpace all the fat in a steak. You might consider how to get these two micronutrients in balance.

I eat a lot of garlic, and the onion family like scallions and leeks for low carb alternatives to bulb onions. Though I do cook with pounds of onions a week for my family-- it is a basic flavoring to most dishes.

Turmeric and black pepper---- a slice of salt and peppered beef with mustard and horse radish is wonderful. Horseradish has special properties worth including, though in small amounts unless you like your nasal cavity to clear out. lol

Find Dr purlmutters works.

Glutin-- as you have dropped all grrains, this should nt be an issue. It hides in lots of things other than grains.

I try to remember to bring my own salad dressing, and honestly have been trying to make more and more of my own as the ingredients now have me rethinking their effects. Seems like every time I eat out, no matter how carefully, I go off the rails.

I buy more organic than ever before. Not everything but working on it. There are far too many chemicals sprayed onto our foods-----

Don't forget you can sprout your own sprouts for a lot less money too.