View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-07, 10:31

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
When I'm running at 12% grade I'm working at my limits and I assume I'm producing a lot of Growth Hormone. I never feel like I'm working hard when lifting weights

Kaypeeoh, I am very interested in the HGH aspect of intense exercise. Do you have any idea how much HGH can be produced through the use of exercise? I am doing about 25 minutes of HIIT 5-6 times per week, along with lifting free weights twice per week. During HIIT, I get my heart rate up to about 97% of my MHR (I am 47, so using the age method, my MHR would be about 173). During the recovery intervals, my HR gets down to about 140, which would be about 80% MHR. I do 2 minutes hard (6mph ~ 10% incline) followed by 1 minute of recovery (3mph ~ 10% incline). I do 8 sets of this.

Much of what we call aging seems to be related to a decrease in HGH. From what I have read, our HGH produciton peaks at around age 20, then steadily decreases for the rest of our lives. By the time we are 70, we are only producing about 20% of the HGH that we did when we were younger. HGH increases muscle mass, decreases body fat, and is responsible for all sorts of wonderful things in our bodies.

From research that I have done, it is true that intense exercise does induce the production of HGH. I am just wondering if it is possible to produce enough to make a real difference.