View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 15:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Princess...

I'm curious why you would join a board that supports only low carbing and then promote a diet that is fairly high in carbs?
What is healthy for you may in fact be very unhealthy for many others. For example...the glycemic index of pasta, rice and potatoes would send my blood sugar through the roof as a diabetic. Those are foods that I no longer eat in any amount as they have the same effect on me as simple sugars. For those with insulin resistance and hypoglycemia the effect is the same.

Quote:
Im only 10 pounds over weight, for heaven sakes, eating healthy foods, and walking and exercise should be all it takes,

Just like clothing, diets are not "one size fits all". Many (if not most) of those here on this board have already tried the low fat/high carb route and couldn't sustain it for the length of time that it would take to lose their weight and if they did, couldn't maintain on it due to cravings and hunger. Low carbing is what they have found works for them. There's nothing unhealthy about adequate amounts of protein, lots of nutrient dense vegetables, low glycemic fruits such as berries and melons, nuts and healthy fats such as olive oil or butter. Study after study is now showing that cardiac profiles improve considerably on such a diet, at least equally if not more so than on low fat. Many of us do not even consider this a diet. Diets fail because when you stop dieting, the pounds come back and usually bring a few friends with them. Many of us consider this a lifestyle change; a way that we will be eating in one form or another for the rest of our lives.
If you can lose those 10 pounds you way, wonderful! I wish you great success. I wouldn't expect to find a lot of support here for something that many have tried and found did not work for them, though.