View Single Post
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 15:45

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Travel fitness

First marathon training week 2 day 6 (full training program: here )

What a wonderful change:-) Yesterday at noon I was sunbathing in my new bikini (it is wonderful, hardly cover anything, but totally unsuitable for swimming), and now, 24 hours later I am hiking in the middle of snowland, in the Rockies...

I started my day with my favorite travel routine: airport speedwalking. I still remembe clearly the day ten years ago, where all this travel exercise started. I travel a lot, my trips often include 6-11 hours flights, hours on airports. Ten years ago, on a wonderful spring day I was on my way back to the US, with a London connection. This connection meant a 4 hours stay at London Heathrow airport. A 11 hours flight was ahead me, even the thought of it made my back, butts to ache. There is no way to avoid serious discomfort during so long flights, not even if you are on the first class - and I always refus to spend money, milages etc even for a business class.

To ease my growing depression, I started to walk, speeding up more and more. Heathrow Terminal 4 is an excellent place for speedwalking. Without even noticing, I walked 2:30 minutes, till the boarding started. It was one of my easiest, most comfortable flight. No pain - neither in my back, nor in my butts, not even the usual numbness in my legs.

Since this wonderful experience I have been an adamant, enthusiastic airport speedwalker. Every time when I travel or wait for somebody, I start a fast walk from the moment I arrive to the airport, till the moment of boarding, or the arival of my guest. I am never alone. There are many people enjoying the same relief - I met not only with other walkers, but with joggers, stretchers, core exercisers too.

Some of the best tracks: LAX United (before 7 AM you can even jog, run), London Heathrow Terminal 4 - (the worst: Terminal 3), Denver Terminal B (after 3PM), Dullas Terminal C, D (on weekends) - and of course our local John Wayne airport.

You can even have stair climbing (Chicago O'Hare has traditional stairs), high intensity interval training - catching the connection or your scheduled ground transportation:-))

Believe me, there is only one thing that can hurt you more than sitting down meanwhile waiting for a longer sitting on a plane: sitting in a pub or fast food joint:-) Move your butts, and feel the difference:
This moment I am enjoying the company of my grad student son, and getting ready for our tomorrows Rocky hike.