#72   ^
Old Tue, May-12-15, 07:42

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiant324
I tried my 25 mile ride again this past Saturday & Sunday & both rides were a disaster. Especially Sunday (yesterday). And to experiment, I ate a protein bar yesterday that had about 20g of carbs in it & it didn't help at all. I'm sure the fact that it was 95 degrees yesterday didn't help, but I drank lots of water throughout the ride. Ultimately, I ended up having to walk the last mile back to my car. I may not only need to find a more effective snack for my rides, but also alter the timing that I eat. Apparently, 45 minutes into the ride is already too late. I may need to eat after 30 minutes.
I still think you may be going into these rides glycogen-depleted from your previous days of exercise, and not adapted yet to use less glucose in your energy mix. So you have too little glucose anywhere - not stored in your muscle and liver, not incoming from carbs, not being made fast enough from protein and fat.

So, you could either wait it out while you get more adapted, or if you know you have a long ride the next day, I would just add some carbs right after your strength workouts where they go right to muscle glycogen. If you eat in the middle of the ride it has to be some fast-acting sugar - wouldn't it be better to already have it in the tank?

Did you google Sisson's "compromises for endurance athletes" ? if you exercise every day, glucose has to come from somewhere.