View Single Post
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-13, 21:19

Plan: Volek & Phinney
Stats: 140/132/122 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi Seejay,

Okay, I understand. This is a somewhat different idea than the thing I'm trying. So with the Primal Blueprint style, the income can be modified by the outgoing (burned) CHO. As long as burned exceeds taken in, you're good. Okay. The way I'm doing it, the CHO is kept at under 50g/day (better at 20) no matter what you're burning. It has to do with straight incoming glucose, not what you're burning.

Since reading your post, I went on to Mark Sisson's sites and was reading a bit about it. Looks good. I bookmarked it and will be back reading more on the Daily Apple site. Thanks for the explanation. This would also explain Tim Olson's use of gels during races.

The next two things I'm going to look for are: 1) would these carbs be eaten immediately after the exercise--or at least with protein--to dampen the insulin response? and, 2) if the body runs better on fats, why not give it fats during a long race (like a 100 mile run)? This is related to a question I've been asking on a few low-carb, high-fat sites and still haven't gotten any useful answer to yet: what should a low-carb, high-fat distance runner eat during a multi-hour event? I'm not going to bring a can of olive oil or a tub of veggie dip--despite 20gms of fat and 0-2 gms CHO per serving--to a race...but other than nuts, which also do have carbs, what else is relatively easy to bring and eat during a race?

This is a fascinating new area for me--until five weeks ago, I was a 30+ year vegetarian. I just started using ketone test strips and am interested in seeing how those numbers go as I journey through this low-carb lifestyle.

Thank you very much for the response, Seejay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
PowerGoat it's according to a person's capacity to burn glucose. How much muscle and intense activity. If you're doing a ton of glucose-burning exercise, then you are not eating excess glucose. And it's the excess glucose that's the problem.

For example imagine a 180 pound man does 2 hours of high intensity exercise on a heavy training day. Say 1200 calories. Of which, 60% from glucose and 40% from fat, so that's 800 calories of glucose needed, so 200 grams of CHO. I would imagine he wouldn't need as much CHO since he's fat adapted, but intense exercise is just plain sugar burning.

Those of us who do Primal Blueprint style exercise, such that we do such hard training only once or twice a week, can get all that glucose from the glycogen replaced a little every day. Not like we need that much every single day.