Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Quote:
Profiles of Success
One well known model for weight loss maintenance is the National Weight Control Registry, a self selected group of 4,000 plus adults who have lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off one year or longer. According to their self reports, these persons succeed by:
•continuing to follow a low-calorie, low-fat diet,
•exercising regularly at a high level,
•weighing themselves frequently and
•eating breakfast every day.
The most commonly reported physical activity is walking at a moderately intense pace for at least an hour each day. Women use up an average of 2,500 calories a week; men, about 3,300 in this physical activity.

A Swedish review of studies published in 2005 also produced a profile of the “successful weight maintainer.” Such a person:
•starts early with an ambitious goal and reaches it;
•is physically active with leisure activities such as walking or cycling and minimal TV watching;
•continues to monitor weight-related behavior by counting calories and weighing regularly;
•eats less than before with less snacking and fewer high-fat foods; and
•has a regular eating pattern of healthy meals, including breakfast.
These two profiles are remarkably similar. Both characterize persons who are serious about weight loss and willing to alter their behavior significantly to maintain it. One study of National Weight Registry members found that those who succeeded in keeping weight off for two years or longer had a 50 percent reduced risk of regaining that weight later.
http://www.amerymedicalcenter.org/A...t_it_takes.aspx

The above is an excerpt from a post at the link. While it is still pushing the low fat dogma, it is another look at the fact that it is very possible to keep that weight off.

I do see several differences that mean I will be able to keep my weight off easlier FOR ME, on hf/lc than the LF/HC way.

The first time I lost weght I did lose it with the same calorie count, 1200 or so a day, but this time I am NOT ready to eat the refrigerator an hour after eating. It did nothing for cravings. I exercised like a fiend, lived hours a day at the gym. Kept it mostly off for 5 years, then started my joint replacements. Started gaining because I was still eating LF/HC and did not want to go to lower calories because I knew I would be hungry.

This time, I have had four joint replacements, back surgery and go to the gym once a week. I hike one morning and walk 6 miles another.

I do not get hungry on 1200 calls a day on hf/lc. maintaining at about 1600 calories a day. (The first post said the maintainer women ate 1300 cals a day??? Well, I am NOT that thin, ) I have no cravings. I can easily see myself here, seriously, at least until I am 85 years old when I promised myself a box of chocolates a week............