#65   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-12, 00:22

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson

Does anyone really think that wild animals living on their natural diets, in their natural environments have to count calories in, fat content or plan their meals?
Neither do we, if we understand the basics of what a low carb paleo style diet is all about.

I think you have a point... to a degree. Now bear in mind that I'm not trying to say that we're all "victims" to our food environment, but let me just say this. Animals out in the wild have never had access to white flour. Sure, maybe sugar cane in tropical climates and fruit. Just like our ancestors, animals today do not have the access to the high-carb junk food we have today. It's everywhere, it's ready, and it's highly accessible.

With that being said, I do agree that we can retrain our system/appetite such that the cravings aren't as strong. But unless we're super-strict with taking the right vitamins, eating the right macros, doing the right kind of wellness therapy (be that yoga, aerobic, or weight-bearing exercise), we are susceptible to cravings. I know this firsthand because I have a period every month and my craving for chocolate is INTENSE. And I'm not perfect with taking my magnesium (which is probably why I crave chocolate in the first place).

Anyway, for those of us that are human and tend to have slip-ups due to craving and stress, we need to have some sort of structure. Not like food weighing or methodical calorie-counting... but perhaps "taking inventory" on our habits once a week or once a month along with weighing. Just something that keeps us from going off the deep end.