Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 07:07
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein, formerl Atkins
Stats: 375/237/222 Male 71 inches
BF:BMI 51/33/31
Progress: 90%

CajunBoy,
Your calculation is correct.

I want to emphasize that the .75 factor is my own, extrapolated from many sources with none providing definitive guidance.

The 4 grams of protein for each pound of body weight is more commonly accepted for maintaining weight, for sedentary males. (Active exercisers would need more.) But again, this is not a Bernstein number.

I lowered that to 3 grams (slowly) out of concern that I eat enough protein to provide the amino acids for brain and muscle funcion, etc., knowing that any "excess" amino acids would reconstitute themsleves as glucose to quick energy which would derail the fat burning machine I am trying to run my metabolism on.

In his "Diabetes Diet" (not the recently revised and republished "Diabetes Solution" book), Dr. Bernstein emphasizes, to lose weight, keeping the carbs the same (6-12-12) and lowering protein by reducing the portion for one meal by half and seeing how that works. If it is not enough, he suggest reducing the protein of another meal by half, and so on.

He mentions reducing the protein to lose weight 3 or 4 times in the book, each time emphasizing that the amount of protein (and carbs) with each meal should remain constant from day to day. I surmise this is both for blood sugar regulation and fat burning metabolism.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing how it is working for you.
Dan