View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 19:18

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Arlene, I ventured up the carb ladder a bit before I determined that I really couldn't eat much higher than induction level (and, honestly, below that to lose at more than 1/2 a month (yes, you read that right) as I got closer to goal. What I found worked best was to first add 5 net carbs (yes, I was doing NANY), but it could be total carbs just as easily, and eat only the same foods I'd been eating. After a week or two at that higher carb level, I would introduce a new nut or fruit or daily product and try it every other day 3-5 times (in the intervening days, I'd stay at the same carb level, but only eat from foods I knew I tolerated well).

If I didn't have a reaction to it, I would move it to my "tried and true list", and try another new food 3-5 times on alternate days. Repeat as needed. About six weeks later, I tried adding another 5 Net Carbs, and on that week I didn't add a new food. Unfortunately 30 NT (~50 total) was about as high as I got before I stalled out and slowly began dropping back.

If you are satisfied with all the foods you are eating, you could simply try adding 5 carbs at a time till you either stop losing or start to gain. I'm not sure I'd add 5 carbs every week though; I think I'd do it every 2-4 weeks and give your body time to adjust.

It could be, Arlene, if you are at 30 carbs and not losing that that really is you ACE - Atkins Carb Equilibrium. Unfortunately I think as we get older, particularly post-menopausal, and if we are insulin resistant at all, our tolerance for carbs plummets. When I did South Beach, starting in 2004 at age 50, I could easily eat 50-75 carbs per day and lose a pound or two a week; as noted, my tolerance is way less now.