View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 21:30

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I've been doing a little reading on agave nectar. I discovered that it is 90% fructose - yes, that means it has a lower glycemic index, but it turns out that doesn't prevent insulin resistance. Fructose tends to get converted directly to triglycerides. If you have Fructose Malabsorption, it also feeds the candida in your gut. I've come to the conclusion that white sugar, and even HFCS (which is only 55% fructose) is better. Agave nectar is no less processed than HFCS. Honey has a slight excess of fructose, but at least you can get it raw, including some probiotic benefits. Maple syrup has slightly more glucose than fructose, as long as you don't get the darker grades.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90325091811.htm
Quote:
Fructose Metabolism By The Brain Increases Food Intake And Obesity, Review Suggests
ScienceDaily (Mar. 26, 2009) — M. Daniel Lane and colleagues at Johns Hopkins have built on the suggested link between the consumption of fructose and increased food intake, which may contribute to a high incidence of obesity, and Type 2 diabetes.