Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 252/135/150 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress: 115%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx
I have to say I am shocked someone weighing only 221 lbs would be a candidate, though it seems like it was successful.

For surgery? Really? I'm 5/5, let's say I weighed 221, my BMI would be 36.8, that is seriously obese.

18.5 - 24.9 Normal weight

25.0 - 29.9 Overweight

30.0 - 34.9 Obese

35.0 - 39.9 Seriously Obese

40.0 - 49.0 Morbidly Obese

50.0+ Malignantly Obese

I had my revision from band to sleeve when I was a BMI of 20.8. I knew if I lost my band I would regain. I refused to have it removed without doing the sleeve.

Did you know the US is in the minority when it comes to surgery requirements and BMI? MOST countries will do WLS on anyone with a BMI of 30, we are one of the few countries that waits for people to be higher risk and have heart disease, joint damage, diabetes, etc. before we will do WLS. They can usually self pay with a BMI of 30 or greater but for insurance it has to be higher.

As a nurse I would rather see someone have surgery at a 30BMI vs. waiting for them to be a much higher surgical risk down the road.

Australia will do WLS on someone with a BMI of 30 under their socialized medicine program. Germany, Mexico, Chile, and most countries do it with a BMI of 30+.

I'm all for it.