View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-18, 01:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

ANother thought. Ketosis has been labeled as a bad condition, one of disease, without careful understanding of the circumstances. WHen insulin no longer works, and the body must shift to using fat stores for energy THAT is a disease state as the body needs to be able to utiiize insulin. From what I understand is that this is caused by a body that has been hammered with carbohydrates. Cells have lost their sensitivity to insulin ( not a good thing), Or it can be a disease that attack the Ilets of Langerhan, the insulin producing cells. The net result is the same. The body must use fats for energy.

The other state of ketosis is when our bodies act like a sleeping bear during hybernation. Our body switches to adipose tissue for energy during the long time of no eating, say a long winter for that hybernating bear. NOT a disease state.

For some reason, I suspect closed minds, doctors cant see past the only likely ketosis discussed in med school. ANd the result is bashing all states of ketosis. When I read Dr Atkins book, I understood what he was trying to say ANd Teaser you phrased it well!

Given that I still encounter the anti Atkins, I see "keto" as a workaround. The effect is the same; the metabolic pathway is the same. WIth very low or no carbs the body must act like the hybernating bear and use the stored energy to maintain the body.

I do have one question though. A friend argued that the brain must use glucose to function. I have found some evidence that shows the brain actually thrives on ketones better than glucose.Given the state of that hibernating bear I am inclined to beleive the brain is fine with ketones for energy.

( I am not advocating a no carb diet; the micronutrients of vegies/fruit are very important to good health. Even 20 carbs a day in veg is wonderful.)