View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 02:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 352/307/165 Female 5'11"
BF:55/45/25
Progress: 24%

OK - I have 2 kids.

I had PCOS too and that derailed me for a number of years. I was told - get over it - you've had years of fertility drugs, it wont happen. Have IVF. So I did.

I was lucky and they were able to retrieve 17 embryos.

The first 2 implants didnt take and then I said - Can we try Artificial Insemination?

(I only asked because my older friend who had had fertility problems told me they should always do this first). I had an egg maturing normally that wasnt supposed to be there that they wanted to flush out with a change in hormones - anyway, that egg became my now not so little boy.

Now why I am telling this anecdotal story is that I learned 2 things after many years of fertlilty treatment.

1. Dont accept PCOS as your only diagnosis.

Make sure you check everything else out as well.

After AI - the new doctor told me that I had a very steep cervix and that it was difficult to even perform the AI (light bulb moment) - I suspect this was the real reason for my failure to conceive.

2. I conceived (more or less) naturally and I have PCOS - also I was told that the reason I had developed an embryo (that was my son) when I was down regulating (trying to end one cycle to prepare for a chemically induced cycle) was that "this happens sometimes in women who dont have all their hormones kicking in at the right times". "We've had a number of people conceive when they are down regulating - it seems to slow down the progression of hormones in some people which aids their fertility".

So my impression at the end of it all was that in their rush to make money from IVF, they had latched on to the diagnosis of PCOS and hadnt looked thoroughly for other causes.

Because I was lucky enough to have so many eggs from only one cycle of IVF, I was then able to later go on and have my baby girl.

Fertility issues can make you crazy but one way or another a very high proportion of people do conceive. PCOS is just something else to overcome and as many people here will tell you - it can be done. So dont worry too much.