View Single Post
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 11:29

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't think anyone will argue the point that getting our nutrients through 'real' food would be the ideal, but that's not always possible. Even if you had access to all the right foods, the magnesium level in those foods is very dependent on the nutrients in the soil they're grown in. Studies have been done over the last decade on soil...and the effect on the plants...due to corporate farming practices so while you may 'feel better' because you 'think' you're getting enough magnesium in your food, the reality is that you most likely are not.

I do have a question though. People talk about excess magnesium causing diarrhea. I'm taking 1500mg of magnesium daily and that has never happened to me. Is there a test that can be done to determine my magnesium levels or is the fact that I'm not getting diarrhea an indication that I'm still low on magnesium?

When I first started taking it, I was told to start at 300mg and keep increasing until I had diarrhea...then back off the dosage. I'm a little leery of going over the 1500 and would be interested in some thoughts and direction to any websites that might help?

Thanks!