Old Sat, Dec-23-23, 07:25

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
"

I can easily see how people today don't get enough sunlight in winter. Do they not have tall buildings in Boston? Toronto, for example, is a wind tunnel. A cold-baby like me living in downtown TO would probably go straight from their condo to the subway station connected to the building, walk through the Path to work, do their shopping there after work, go back the same way, and rarely even go outdoors. Suburbs are just as bad: kids in my neighborhood get chauffeured to school and back, even though the school is almost immediately behind our townhouse complex. It's probably worse in the US where walking anywhere is dangerous.

Throw the SAD on top of that, and you're in trouble.

I think they're underestimating how many people can fall into this category.

Boston definitely has its share of wind tunnels. I walk every day here in Vermont but only my face is exposed to the sun in much of the fall and winter, and if it’s cold enough I wear a balaclava so only my eyes and a bit of my forehead are exposed to the sun.

The studies cited in the article, gold standard or not, do not prove that Vitamin D doesn’t help prevent disease. They only prove that under the conditions of the study, no improvement was noted. We would need to see the studies cited to evaluate the conclusions. Without the data available there is no way for us, reading this article, to make that evaluation. What kind of vitamin D was given? was 2000iu sufficient to show a change? where did the people live? how old were they? what happened after 5 years? What were they eating?

In other words, the jury is still out on Vitamin D.