#37   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-12, 08:00

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 213/171.6/150 Male 70 (inches)
BF:31%/24%/22%
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudorRose
Will keep an eye on this thread. I've never done more than 15 miles or so (I am a newbie) but I am really interested in nutrition tips for cycling long distances. I use to have a banana as a post cycling snack and now I am not sure what to eat, if anything!

Jen

I ride up to 16 miles to work now, after two months on Induction, and am no longer having any food or energy issues at that distance. That said, I recently tried a 24 mile route and ran into problems after about 18 miles. I completed the route but was really washed up after the ride, even though I ate a largish LC meal about an hour before the ride, and ate again as soon as I finished. I did not, however, take any food while riding...only plain water.

I guess the lesson here is to give your body time to adapt to new exercise loads on LC, and to gradually work one's way up to longer distances. Jumping on one's bike and suddenly going from one hour to two is NOT a good plan!

Various books and articles I've read list 6 months to 2 years as the time needed for an adult to truly and completely adapt to LC, so I am not going to risk any kind of setback by outstripping my body's energy reserves to the point where I feel compelled to add carbs back just to complete a workout.

YMMV, of course!