#4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: The South Beach Diet
Stats: 192.0/168.5/142.0 Female 64 inches
BF:39%/36%/25%
Progress: 47%
Wink Explanation: Why I agree with most posters here

I agree with other posters who have said that Atkins and South Beach are more alike than different (other than the saturated fat issue). I also agree that there probably is no "perfect" diet, nor any doctor who is absolutely correct. That's why different eating plans work (or do not work) differently for different people. That is also why I chose the South Beach Plan for the most part. It seems the most flexible and the easiest to live with my own particular lifestyle and favorite foods.I would not presume to "knock" anyone's else's chosen plan as long it is working for that person and his or her health is steadily improving. If so, then it is definitely a great plan for him or her, and she should stick with it!

I like the good carbs/bad carbs idea of SBD, but I am not consciously restrictive of the saturated fats. However, since I am on an approximately 1,500 calorie per day "budget", I tend to limit things like saturated fats mainly because of the added calories, where I much would prefer to "spend" my calories on other foods I enjoy more. (Although South Beach does not require you to log in your daily food consumption, it just seems to work better for me. I use a spreadsheet I have designed which calculates all this for me and tracks carbs and water as well.)

Because I am on a calorie budget, I also like the "low glycemic" approach in SBD because there is a lot of diabetes in my family and I wish to avoid that road for as long as I can. (Atkins also appears to be in line with the low-sugar approach.) What I like more about SBD is that is allows you to have more whole grain and other natural carbs in the latter phases, which tend to fill me up better and stay with me longer so that I am not hungry as often. Even, though-by the way-I also agree that the differences between Atkins and SBD tend to "flatten out" the further you go in the plan.

A lot of my choices are simply taste. I don't really like the taste of fatty meats and I much prefer the taste of oils like olive, peanut or sesame rather than canola, which to me has no flavor at all. Sunflower oil is okay, too. I think if we learn to "listen" better, our bodies will eventually tell us which foods are best for us, as individuals.

For all you other "beachers" I found another great site which has many good recipes -- neatly organized and all in one place! The lady who runs it is very nice too. Just click on http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm and you'll see what I mean. There is a list on the left with direct links to all sorts of recipes for all the different phases - it's GREAT! For example, look at this simple dessert recipe:
Pumpkin Pudding Six servings. Original version from Libby's at http://www.verybestbaking.com. This is a low fat, sugar-free version.

1 pkg. (1-oz, 4-serving size) vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
(I use the Jello sugar free pudding mix.)
1 can (12 oz) fat-free evaporated milk
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin (not pie filling mix)
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
Beat together pudding and milk. Refrigerate 5 minutes. Mix in pumpkin and spices. Put in six dessert dishes and refrigerate 10 minutes before serving.

Note: Instead of the pumpkin pie spice, you can substitute 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and maybe a dash of cloves. Or just use 1 teaspoon cinnamon. You can also top with fat-free Cool Whip or Ketogenics maple butter-flavored syrup.

I'm so happy to find other lowcarbers who are on SBD. I'll be looking for all of your posts. Have a grea day, everyone!