#7   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 00:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

I added to the title of the thread as well, so that other persons reading might have some experience to share

I've already mentioned to you some reasons why diarrhea can lead to weight loss. Doesn't always have to be due to bile problems .. the Big D can lead to weight loss whatever the cause of it is.

First is dehydration and fluid loss. Second is malabsorption, due to the semi-digested food moving through the intestinal tract so quickly. Another reason is, if there's inflammation or irritation of the lining of the intestine ... first, this will compound the poor absorption problem AND .. the inflammation will mean that increased nutrients are required for healing. The inflammatory process uses up a lot of calories! And protein.

I was thinking you might consider using a protein supplement ... micro-filtered, isolated pure whey protein could be good. Yes, it's dairy ... but the main protein in dairy that causes all the problem is CASEIN, and in the better quality whey isolates, every last trace of casein has been filtered out. Whey proteins are tolerated even by children and persons who are otherwise "allergic" to milk products. Plus, they are readily and easily assimilated by the body, not a lot of digestive process needed. Just something to think about. If whey is out of the question, then you can get pure egg protein (not powdered eggs .. this is protein isolate). There's always soy protein, but I think it would be harder to digest.

You might also think about taking L-glutamine as a supplement. It is very healing and replenishing to the lining of the intestinal tract. In Protein Power LifePlan, the Eades recommend up to 20g per day (divided) for healing Leaky Gut Syndrome. Good quality L-glutamine powder is completely tasteless, and dissolves readily in water.

Doreen