View Single Post
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 09:46

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

My mother and grandmother will quietly give the kids all kinds of junk when they have them too, despite the fact we have been on sugar free treats for years. I have requested time and again that they give the kids fruit/veggie/cheese or a sugar free alternative for snacks, but they still pull out the big guns... donuts, cake, pie, ice cream sundaes, shakes, chocolate candy by the pound.

I have always let my kids have a couple of sugary snacks a week, but tried to keep them days apart and a reasonable size. What would summer be without corn on the cob, soft-serve ice cream when on a car trip, or the occassional candy splurge. I'm not trying to make them diet nazi's, but teach them there are alternatives and it pays to be vigiliant.

Now that the whole family is LC, it will get that much harder. Even though I tried to keep the kids to a limited amount of full sugar foods, we all continued to climb the weight scale, so its obvious its a carb thing. I explained to the grandparents that we were now eating a 'food in its own wrapper' and no flour and no sugar. I'm not sure my mother is as supportive as she claims to be, as she gave my daughter pizza the other night, in addition to candy and ice cream. She only had her for three full days, and the child got junk every day - although a lot less than she used to give her. This is a woman suffering through the effects of diabetes herself.. sheesh.

Its a small victory, so I'll take it. I'm hoping when the extended family sees our little core get thinner and healthier as time goes on that they will adhere closer to the plan I set forth. If there are positive results, they should want to help, right??? LOL

On the other hand, I wish I had made the LC decision years earlier, and brought them up eating this way. It would be a lot easier than starting them as teens, when we are already fighting the effects of obesity.