Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 08:27
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
I refuse to buy a book who is just a disguised advertisement for commercial products. Too many of these recipes are just an excuse to sell the Atkins bake mix and other over-priced substitutes.
I don't agree. If you look at most of the Atkins recipes online and in DANDR and AfL, there really aren't many that require ingredients that are specifically Atkins brand. Besides, there are substitutes for those ingredients anyhow.

The only reasons I might not buy it (since I've been toying with the idea for a while now) are that
a) I already have six (plus DANDR and AfL) LC cookbooks
b) I have access to great recipes online (here and other sites)
c) I didn't like the way the nutrition information was laid out in the last Atkins LC cookbook (although that may be different now).
d) Atkins.com has so many recipes online (see also point b) that it's almost a waste of money to buy a book filled with those recipes.
Besides, I'm having so much fun going through Dana Carpender's 500 Low Carb Recipes book and Donna Pliner Rodnitzky's book, The Ultimate Low-Carb Diet Cookbook, that I don't have time for any of my other books.

I know there are a lot of books out there that do such shameless plugging like Kraft, Campbell's, and Pampered Chef cookbooks, etc. (where ALL the recipes contain brand ingredients), and was surprised to see Atkins recipes are not like that at all.