#79   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 03:55

Plan: Dr S D Phinney
Stats: 198/175/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:9 - 10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaca201
Hi Nancy - this thread is loaded and I'm trying to catch up...at my last check-up, I had my blood done for all my health markers and the doctor actually said my sodium is low.

(1) I naturally don't 'do salt' on most foods. it's actually an ongoing joke in my family. whenever I make eggs or popcorn, they always have to add salt, b/c I don't.....they think I'm weird, but never want it

(2) we have a history of high blood pressure (mine has been borderline high for years, but not high yet)

what is the best way to get sodium? is it based on weight? you said 5 grams...so, is it as simple as consuming 5000 mg (via reading labels)

if you've already laid out these examples or dosages, I apologize, just reading through all the posts on this thread

As always, thanks for the info... I've heard a lot about Volek and Phinney's books through LLVLC blog and really want to invest in , "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable" soon!

The general suggestion is roughly 2500 - 3000mg of sodium, but that is based on eating carbs. For those who are into the low-carb lifestyle, the requirement of sodium goes up greatly just like what Dr S D Phinney says.

Not just Dr S D Phinney, but from my experience too and I actually have more energy, normal heart rhythm and etc.

Even the Japanese, especially the Northern counties, they eat up to 10,000mg of salt and more in potassium. They have no heart diseases, strokes etc.