View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 05:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Deanna, there are a number of things that you can do to help your friend. I follow Protein Power, which allows 40g ECC (effective carbs, or carbs minus fiber grams) right from the beginning, which I find is much easier for vegetarians to follow than Atkins 20g Induction. And for me, if I could get into the plan right from the start, then it was a lot easier to stick with it.
The basics she needs are to:
1) figure out her minimum protein requirement, based on her height and weight and a couple of measurements
2) boost her fat intake
3) cut her carbs to 40g ECC (or somewhere between Atkins 20g Induction and 40g ECC, which is about as high as I'd go in the beginning.)

Here's a link to a calculator that will give her pretty close to the Protein Power formula-calculation for minimum daily protein requirements:
http://www1.wfubmc.edu/heart/Being+...lth+Calculators

Scroll down to the 'Diet and Nutrition Calculators,' to the one that says 'Protein Calculator: Are you eating enough protein?' The people who've used it already on another board report that it's within 5g plus or minus of their PP-recommended protein calculations.

Since she eats eggs and cheese, she's pretty much home free. Depending on her protein minimum (mine is around 70g/day, and I usually get in around 90g), she should divide the total into 3-5 'meals' and aim to get that much protein at each sitting. Here's a typical menu for me...

B: cinnamon hazelnut mocha protein shake (35-40g protein, 10g ECC)
(1 scoop GNC chocolate Protein95 soy protein powder, 4 oz. kefir, 1 oz. half and half, 1/4 cup ricotta cheese, 6 oz. cold hazelnut coffee, dash of cinnamon...whir it all together and drink)

snacks: 1 oz nuts, seeds, or homemade nut-seed trail mix, or 1-2 oz. string cheese

L: green salad or wilted greens with a chopped egg, an oz. of nuts/seeds, some roasted veggies, maybe some strips of marinated or stir fried tofu or some browned tempeh, and a peanut dressing...whatever will get me to around 25-30g protein

D: a vegetable soup boosted with shredded cheese or croutons from l/c bread, or a side of Joseph's oat bran reduced carb pita bread toasted into pita chips, or a savory nut muffin...whatever will make up the balance of my protein minimum and not push me over on carbs.

I vary meals with omelettes and frittatas, grilled tofu, cheese based casseroles like chiles rellenos and eggplant parmesan or eggplant lasagne, etc. I also eat fish 3-5 times a week, but if your friend is comfortable eating eggs, cheese, tofu and tempeh, nuts and seeds to get her proteins in, she'll do jsut fine as a low carber.