View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 05:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I sort of agree with what Kresser is saying to a point.

Quote:
Just to reiterate, there were no differences between low-carb and low-fat. When the subjects focused on real, whole foods and cut refined grains, sugars, and processed foods out of their diet, they lost significant weight, without having to count calories or restrict energy intake. However, this was based on averages, and does not mean that an individual might not respond better to a low-carb or low-fat diet.

In the A to Z study Gardner observed that the people who lost the most weight were the people who adhered most strictly to their plan. That "this was based on averages" is important, because it applies not just to weight loss results but also to adherence--if, like in the A to Z study, the people who were most adherent lost the most weight, which seems likely, the weight loss might more strongly correlate with level of carb intake in the one group and fat intake in the other. Gardner prescribed a certain definition of "quality" for low carb that I don't entirely agree with--not about the foods that were included, grass fed beef, salmon, olive oil etc. are fine--but I disagree that the foods that he might consider lower quality, like conventional beef or pepperoni sausages and pork rinds and butter would have resulted in less weight loss, or that they couldn't be part of a healthful low carb diet. Dr. Atkins played heavily into the succulence of a low carb diet, the diet proposed by Gardner *might* be a healthier version, but the greater appeal of Atkin's approach, the wider range of choices, being able to go to a fast food joint and just toss the bun makes for easier adherence.