#13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-10, 13:40

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjs
I think it is a YMMV thing on the fruit. Personally, I can't touch 99% of it without having a spike.

Not sure what YMMV is.. and I'm addressing T2s' when I'm writing about fruits...

For me, at the point in my stage of health, I can no longer look at one group of foods and discuss restricting or eliminating....

At one time, I couldn't eat fruits or it wreaked havoc on my blood glucose, but thanks to my wife, who is a TCM Doctor and her showing me a better way, I'm able to enjoy 3 to 5 fruits a day without any problem. Diabetics also tend to complain also about rice, potatoes, noodles, and breads causing blood sugar problems and I used to avoid those foods too, but can enjoy them now.

I now can enjoy not only fresh fruits, but; berries, nuts, seeds, grains, any kind of fresh vegetable......... I eat any kind of meat, organ meat, seafood without any restrictions. My proteins from animal/seafood sources are about 10%-12% of my diet.. I make up the rest of my protein needs from plant based proteins.

I still avoid artificial sweeteners, refined sugars, pre-packaged foods, things that come in a can or a box and frozen foods....

My point is, just because you can't enjoy fruits now for the trouble it can cause and no matter how restrictive the present diet is and how much medication you're on for blood glucose control, there is still the hope you can accomplish what I did in recovering from the havoc of diabetes and reversing this disease completely without medication and without eliminating any real whole and fresh and natural food from the diet.

I've learned that recovery was more about increasing real, whole, natural and fresh foods and eliminating junk foods, and not about eliminating any whole and natural food......

A whole new world in combating diabetes opens up when herbs and other supplements are properly used in conjunction with a diet that includes a large variety of fresh fruits and vegetables and living an active lifestyle which includes a sufficient amount of good exercise.....

I average about 100 vegetable and 25 fruit sources each month and I'm always looking for something new and different to add into my diet. My latest addition is Japanese Sweet Potato Leaves.....

So, I've not nearly typed enough information for anyone to just follow what I'm saying and change everything they're doing, but I'm just saying, never lose hope that things can turn around and if I have a secret to share, it is this:

In the average American diet, the common link is over nutrition. My meaning is we eat too much of a particular food source and that automatically means we're not getting enough of something else. That equals malnutrition or as it is put in TCM terms, an imbalance. The way to correct an imbalance in the easiest way to eat as wide a variety of fruits and vegetables as possible. The more variety in the diet, the less chance of over nutrition of a particular food and the better chance to achieve nutritional balance....

I'm not an expert and not every person will have the same degress of success, some should be able to do much better than me. I'm just someone who's living with diabetes, not dying with it.