#88   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-13, 01:27

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyRusi
Your description of how you "view" your Atkins DIET is my exact point on the "it makes you happy" meter. You are happy on the diet, for you it doesn't feel like a diet, it feels like a lifestyle change. When i watch "the biggest loser" tv show, they eat carbs like bread (always promoting subway). They excercise, they eat in moderation, they learn good foods and bad foods. They learn about their bodies and they still lose massive weight and 80% maintain that weightloss. (many of them going on to help others do the same) for them that is a lifestyle change as well. Adding just "responsible healthy foods and exercise into your routine" is a Lifestyle change. So you could arguably say that anything you are HAPPY with living with FOR LIFE and helps you maintain, is a lifestyle change.

Diet literally means "what you eat". It also means "what you don't eat", but usually for a short time to lose weight, after which you go back to your regular diet, i.e., "dieting".

This is where willpower comes into play. No willpower needed to eat. But once you start eating less - of total food or carbs or whatever - that's when you feel the effect of willpower. Willpower is used in the context of deprivation. Two things where it applies - hunger, and cravings. Hunger, that's easy: Eat. Cravings, that's another story. If you crave stuff you know makes you fat, you can't just eat that and still expect to lose fat if that's your original intent. But then, it's not just black and white, where you either eat or not eat. You can also eat that once in a while, then not eat that for a while. We'd call this a Carbohydrates Addict Diet, there's a book and everything, and a sub-forum right here.

Once we start to understand more about it, like the fact that hunger and cravings are not the same yet share physiological traits like dopamine (the hormone associated with learning and pleasure), we can then deal with those things more easily, more pragmatically. It allows us to think it through like we're doing here instead of just going about like zombies.