View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-16, 14:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm comfortable with longer fasts and have done very well with them. In this case, I'm talking up to 96-hour fasts (4 days) where I've consumed only water, tea, salt. I felt great and could have gone longer. For fuel for the brain, very little glucose is required, and one's fat reserves provide the ingredients for the necessary fuel the body requires. There are still camps arguing energetically regarding how the body derives fuel from lean mass or fat mass, and my readings of the science indicates that the body is very protective when exogenous food sources are completely eliminated by compensating with HGH and ketone bodies. Don't forget that the glycerol backbone of fat contributes to the production of the small amount of glucose the body needs via gluconeogenesis. Yes, energy can come from fat or protein. For me, I don't believe I've ever been that low on body fat where fasting would require my metabolism to get glucose from lean mass protein.

Here's a very good Ted talk from Mark Mattson explaining the benefits of fasting. If the root of the argument here is the danger of long fasts, I believe that a lot remains to be learned here, and we really need a definition of "long fasts."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uk...eature=youtu.be

Good dialog and discussion on this thread!