View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 22:17

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I recall reading something, I don't recall where, a few years back about boredom with foods on low-carb plans. The author pretty much took a different view: think back to when you ate high-carb. Think about how much (i.e., little) variety you had in those meals. Chances are, you ate the same things, week after week, with very little variety and change. If you want something else, you are free to eat it.

So, now you've shifted to a different eating plan, one that prohibits certain foods. You fix meals and, surprise, you gravitate toward the same recipes/menus week after week. Except now, you realize, your plan prohibits you from eating other things. So you decide you are "bored" when in reality, you just want something you'd already made a conscious decision to do without.

The difference before "meals while not eating low carb" and "meals while eating low carb" is one of wanting something you can't have (something YOU decided you can't have). It's not boredom with your current menus/recipes. It just feels like boredom because you think you want something you've made a decision to not eat.

Analyze how you really feel, IF you truly are "bored" with what you are eating, make a menu - with different recipes each day. The base of each recipe may be the same (chicken, beef, pork, seafood) but you can change up the sauces, spices, methods of cooking, etc.

All that aside, I have to say, I had better success sticking to low carb when I ate a VERY limited menu. I'm talking: rotisserie chicken, mayo and shredded cheese or tuna, mayo and shredded cheese every single day for lunch and dinner, with a turkey leg or steak or eggs/bacon once or twice per week. I did that menu for months on end. I did not get bored. But, at the time, I was an over-the-road trucker and that worked for me. Every few days, I'd stop at a Wal-Mart Supercenter and pick up a chicken. The mayo, cheese and tuna I stocked up on once a month. The turkey legs, steaks, eggs/bacon, I had when I felt like being sociable and ate a restaurant/truck stop. I was able to cook in the truck (butane burner) so once in a while (especially if I was laid over or on a short trip with lots of time) I cooked in the truck. But that was rare. Anyway, I did not get bored.

Just my two cents ...