#7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-10, 11:42

Plan: whole foods, less carbs
Stats: 158.5/145.5/125 Female 62 in
BF:2 high
Progress: 39%
Default one more voice

Hi everyone,

I'm coming into this discussion late, but wanted to add my personal experience and thoughts on RR.

About 6 years ago, I was in search of a way to find healing for what I was fully beginning to see as a sugar addiction. Through a search I found Kathleen's site and books. She studied addiction and comes from an alcoholic background (not herself, but family members). In graduate school she did her thesis on addiction and recovery. What she discovered resulted in her "Potatoes Not Prozac" and "Sugar Addicts Recovery Book."

I was totally thrilled when I found Kathleen's take on sugar addiction and followed her 7 step program for a few months. I never felt so good in my life, but I was not treating myself seriously and wanted to drink wine at an upcoming Christmas party, I left the program at that point and actually regret it. However, my regret is over the lack of discipline in my own life to apply what I KNEW worked for me and was indeed healthy. I found what I was looking for and continued in old habits eventually. I do not regret separating myself from an unhealthy dependency-driven (IMHO) program.

What I am thankful for to this day is what I learned about my own addiction to sugar and it's connection to starches. My discovery led to the understanding that white flour was my very worst enemy, nothing else could have convinced me of that fact before reading Kathleen's books.

I do feel there is an element of control with Kathleen that is not healthy (for myself anyway). I posted on her forum when I became aware of the "cultish" feeling to things, she responded that I could be assured there was no such thing going on there, (of course). I used the term "idol" in my post. She did not boot me out, but that was a long time ago and her rules were less rigid, from what I understand.