Old Tue, Feb-08-11, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 159/143/130 Female 161 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi all

Just thought I'd post my experiences here

I'm 27 and basically since the age of 7 have had an issue with food and trying to control my weight

Including CAD I've tried EVERYTHING:

weight watchers, Atkins, Jenny Craig, Sure Slim, the Zone, vegetarianism, whole food diets, shakes diets, herbalife etc etc etc

CAD is the ONLY plan I've ever felt like I actually wasnt ON a diet.. all the others there was a sense of 'white knuckling' it

So why havent I stuck with CAD in the past.??

Several reasons

I've had a battle with alcohol addiction which has finally been brought under control (one day at a time) with AA and doing the 12 steps

At times I think I've also 'sold out' to the elusive quick fix.. lose 5 pounds in a week type plans..which are never stickable

The biggest part of my spiritual recovery program is the requirement for total honesty with myself

I know that I've used food in the past as a crutch and being unable to 'stick to' a diet plan.. I dont even get to the 2 or 3 week mark.. after a day or so I just cant be a~#$(d and break it

I've also realised that the high fibre, carb low fat approach just doesnt work for me... i'm much better on a low carb plan

need to BALANCE my INSULIN - its all about the insulin

SO that brought me to the crossroads of 'what low carb plan will i follow?'

Initially, even though I had tried CAD before and loved it (but never stuck to it because alcohol binges would wreck havoc with my blood sugar so i'd break on CAD also) I thought Atkins - its kind of the purist's approach and there is a plethora of information out there on it and heaps of online support

BUT - too limiting (intially anyway) my mind cant handle a deprivation period (EVEN FOR TWO WEEKS!)

Something else thats always stuck with me - Eno pointed this out I think.. is that you have to look at the longevity of an eating plan..

Yes while Atkins gives you great weight loss success initially (and for many long term I know) you have to apply what you know about yourself and ask - can i do this long term? Establishing your CCLL and your CCLM ie adding carbs back in until you reach and equilibrium of sorts in Atkins I KNEW WOULDNT work for ME.. because I would go ahhhh stuff it and just add it all back in in one week

Whereas with CAD where you balance at each RM is much simpler for me and because I've balanced my insulin at the other meals i'm in far better control

Lastly - having bought and read the CALP book has really helped.. the stress on balanceeeeee has made all the difference in keeping me in control through the day..

Sorry for my long rant - I just wanted to get this all out