View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 16:27

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

There are quite a few meat subs out there that are rich in protein. I like Morningstar Farms Veggie Crumble (you have to be careful, though - there are several, not all of them low carb, so I get the one that is 80 cals for 2/3 cup and something like 2 or 3 grams carbs). I use it every day to make a "bowl" with veggies and cheese for lunch and it's very filling.

There are also frozen products like veggie burgers (but some have cheese in them, so you also have to read labels - Boca Vegan burgers don't and they're something like 1 or 2 carbs a burger) and veggie hot dogs (again, read labels - Morningstar Farms has some that are something like 5 carbs/hot dog but Smart Dogs, which I buy at Walmart, are 1 carb/ hot dog) as well as veggie sausages and veggie cold cuts. All of these are about 12-15 gr/ protein per serving and give a nice variety.

Finally, textured vegetable protein or TVP is also a nice alternative to meat. Bob's Red Mill has some that is crumbled and dry so it keeps well. You just have to pour boiling water over it and let it sit for a bit before using it. You can use it like ground beef and some people also use it like rice, since it's pretty tasteless. I believe that a 1/4 cup dry (which turns out about 1/2 cup after you soak it) is around 3 gr carbs and 15 gr protein.

Hope that helps! It's a bit annoying that so much vegetarian protein (other than dairy and beans) has to come in the form of highly processed foods, like veggie burgers and tofu, but if you're doing lowcarb, that's what you have to work with (and personally, I'd much rather have a processed veggie burger made of veggie protein than an unprocessed meat patty ).

Tam