Thread: Diverticulitis
View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-18, 04:51

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Wow this is great! Thank you for all the info and tips. I really appreciate the help. I wanted to stay low carb because my BP is back to normal and I have less aches and pains, sleep better. Funny you should mention nuts, I hadn't been eating them but I read how healthy they are and I just started eating a handful of walnuts every day. But last week, I had a stomach virus which caused D and then 2 days of constipation, and this week I came down with a flare up. The most painful one yet . I also have been eating a lot of Dairy and I think all the cheese, slowed down my digestion and helped to start a flare. I also cut way down on my vegetables this past week because I was sick with the virus..My doctor said he felt that the virus, compromised my gut flora and made it easier for the bad bacteria to take over. He gave me Flagyl. I'm also wondering if this is age related or genetic because my grand mother suffered with it too, but she lived to 95

Have any of you had a colonoscopy ? I still haven't yet as I don't like invasive procedures. So then all of you stayed low carb? I was going to give up dairy or just eat yogurt (for the flora) I just read a study that said increasing fiber and probiotics were the best way to avoid a flare up. So glad I'm not alone here. I had flare ups 3 times so far. The first time, I was eating raw oysters at a Japanese restaurant, so I thought I got an infection from the raw oysters. The 2nd time it was about 3 years later, I ate at a restaurant, was cheating and ate a cheeseburger and I got a flare. I thought I picked up a bacteria there. Now, this is a year later and another, the worst flare since I've been low carb. I'm very upset I may have to go off low carb...(to increase fiber)

So from what I'm understanding, from you is that everyone is different on how they prevent flare ups? We all at to kind of do an elimination diet?