Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
Hi,
I have been doing well on low carb and suddenly I got a very bad flare of diverticulitis. I was wondering if anyone else has this condition and has low carb or keto helped it or made it worse? I'm very concerned about it getting worse on low carb. I did a search of the forums for anyone or any info on the condition and surprisingly no one has posted anything about it.

Hiya Mayflowers,
Yes, I am a fellow diverticulitis sufferer to the point that I keep track in my "diverticulitis diary" of everything that goes into my mouth.

As SilverEm says, nuts and seeds are definitely no nos for me. But we are all completely individual when it comes to this condition. I also can eat very little when it comes to fibre, or it will trigger a flare-up immediately. So much for the gastroenterologist who told me I needed to gradually increase my fibre until I was getting at least 30 grams a day! I really hate doctors who don't listen!
What I am trying to say is that for me it has been a matter of trial and error as to what I can and can't eat and I suspect it may be the same for you.

In many ways low carb has been a life saver for me. If I am eating out, it's no problem to just order a steak and salad and if the salad is mostly crunchy (another of my no nos), just pick out the few leaves I can eat and slide the rest onto DHs plate.