View Single Post
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 12:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

If anyone is interested in a "cake" without flour, I use the below. I think I got the initial recipe from this site but it could have been elsewhere. You can use two sticks of butter (1 cup) instead of any cream cheese, I just like the texture cream cheese adds. I've never tried it with cream instead of cream cheese, that may work too!

Almond Flour Pound Cake
Low Carbohydrate Recipe
Ingredients:

4 oz cream cheese
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup splenda*
5 eggs
2 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Cream cream cheese, butter and splenda well.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. (I actually beat all 5 together and slowly pour in)

Mix flour with baking powder and add to egg mixture a little at a time while beating. Add lemon and vanilla extracts. Blend well.

Pour into greased 9-inch cake pan and bake at 325-degrees for 35-40 minutes.

*my sweet meter has gone down a lot. For a long time I used 18 packets of splenda instead of a cup of granular, but now I use 6 drops stevia and 12 packets splenda.

For the banana flavored bars instead of pound cake I use 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1-2 tsp banana extract (usually 1.5) and 1 tsp vanilla extract instead of the lemon/vanilla extract combo in the pound cake.

For pumpkin bars I use 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1/4 cup butter, 2 oz cream cheese , 1-2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg and 1 tsp vanilla. * This week I made the pumpkin ones with 1/2 cup canned pumkin and a stick of butter (no cream cheese) to better fit in with ON. I still prefer cream cheese added! I also used just 4 eggs and added two extra yolks. The texture is a little different (more eggy) but not bad.

Another variation I think would be good would be to substitute the pumpkin for unsweetened applesauce and then use spices that are good for apple pie.

This is the almond flour I buy: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/bl...ndflour5lb.aspx
They also make a natural almond flour but that has the skins on so it's courser ground.