View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 10:30

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

Here is an awesome recipe for beef marrow, roasted. I watched the Bourdain episode where he went and ate at Fergus's restaurant and I salivated the entire time. Yummo!!!!! For those of you trying to avoid dairy and and dairy products, it might be beneficial to eat your fat from animals instead of animal milks and the like, if you can cotton the difference. LOL

Cook the Book: Roast Bone Marrow and Parsley Salad, Anthony Bourdain's Last Supper

Posted by Adam Kuban, March 10, 2008 at 2:30 PM

The first recipe out of the gate this week is from a Serious Eats favorite, Anthony Bourdain, whose last meal would take place at St. John, prepared by the restaurant's proprietor, Fergus Henderson. When we talked to him last year, he also listed this dish as his favorite comfort food.

Roast Bone Marrow and Parsley Salad

- serves 3 -
Adapted from My Last Supper by Melanie Dunea.
Ingredients

12 three-inch (7 1/2-centimeter) pieces veal marrowbone
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked from stems
2 shallots, peeled and very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons (30 grams) capers
2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Toasted bread, for serving
Procedure

1. Prepare the bones: Put the bones in an ovenproof frying pan or roasting pan; place in a 450°F (230°C) oven. Depending on bone thickness, roasting should take about 20 minutes. You're looking for loose and giving marrow, but marrow that's not yet melted away.

2. Prepare the parsley salad: While bones are roasting, lightly chop the parsley and mix it with the shallots and capers. Just before serving, dress salad with the olive oil and lemon juice; salt and pepper to taste.

3. Serve the dish: Don't completely season this dish before serving; let the diner do the last-minute seasoning. To eat, scrape the marrow from the bone onto the toast; season it with coarse sea salt. Place a pinch of parsley salad on top; eat immediately.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ain-recipe.html

I put the link in because the comments afterward said that some just use regular ol' beef bones with marrow. I went browsing yesterday and I have to say that I cam able to get a surprising variety of unusual meat cuts and offal. I was amazed that once I started looking, what was available. I even found an entire pig's head... might be time to dig up a head cheese recipe. LOL