#100   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 20:38

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by taste test
Here's a question that I have. Eating more fat and less protein make sense to me if protein causes insulin release and fat does not. Less insulin, more free fatty acids flowing through the bloodstream to be used for fuel.

But the OD seems to promote more carbs (still low though) than say, Atkins induction. So won't the extra carbs raise the BS too and in that case, with less protein, will it be a wash? In other words, does switching out some protein for carbs really help? I know that fat is the main thing with this diet but there also seems to be an increase of carbs along with decrease in protein and increase in fat.

The problem is not insulin per se, but sustained high levels of insulin due to not ready energy.

Proteins are not a problem when you need them for your tissue.
They're a problem when you have had enough proteins and the extra ones are being converted to glucose (convertion of proteins to glucose is very high on very lot carb diets)

Carbs are not a problem when you need them to replenish glycogen.
They're a problem when you have enough carbs as stored glycogen and it is floating around raising blood sugar, stimulating insulin and getting converted to fat (a rather long process)

If you decrease the protein you won't have amino acids being converted to glucose, hence you will have a greater need for carbs which will be used mainly to replenish glycogen, hence they will be metabolized properly without surges, sustained levels of insulin and so on. Keep in mind that even on a zero carb diet you have quite a few insulin in your blood and being released when you eat. You can't have a zero protein diet and no matter the amount of proteins, when you eat you're experiencing an insulin spike. This is completely normale and required for survival. The problem is when insulin doesn't go down, because it doesn't know how to dispose of the nutrients.

So more carbs, less proteins and lot of fats means proteins being used to tissue renewal and growth, carbs being used for glycogen and fats being used for energy.