Thread: Bicycling..
View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/219/150 Female 5'6"
BF:not done yet
Progress: 39%

Karen and Teardrop - can we lure you over to the dark side? There are a couple of lowcarb cyclists also in eastern PA, Karen, and we're going to get together to ride two weekends or so from now, I believe. And Teardrop, consider doing at least part of our west coast ride with us Sept 2005, as we'll be passing along the coast east of you and it is really going to be a blast

Jeff, I haven't ever had that ride on my radar screen. I do know that when I drove the bikes out to the SFGP last year, I took US 50 from Utah to Reno, and was shocked to find cyclists out there on that incredibly long, lonely and destitute but beautiful stretch of highway. Because that one goes over 100 miles with no place for water or food I gave up a couple of liters of my Desani. I also ride with my daughter, who is training both to race and to do our Six-gaps ride which falls after the SFGP - http://www.porcupinews.com/sixgapcentury.html

so I completely understant riding with your kids. Hopefully, for your sake, your kids can't completely kick your bu++ like mine does

Soon I do hope we have a link for us lowcarb cyclists. I'll post it here as soon as we do-

Allez Y'all -

sen

Oh shoot, Ann, I didn't catch your post until I had finished this one, but if I can let me suggest, if your old MTB is a decent, hardtail frame, that instead of spending on a new bike right away, you consider buying some decent, lightweight wheels (maybe along the lines of something like this? - http://www.performancebike.com/shop...le.cfm?SKU=6234) and put a thinner-than what you would normally run, and smoother, tire on them, and that way you could have both worlds at your disposal? You could do some road riding and some MTB'ing. No matter what any store tells you, hybrids and comfort bikes really don't give you the best of both worlds, too big and chunky for road and too crappy on the suspension for MTB'ing. If you want to do both your best bet is to keep or get ahold of a decent hardtail MTB frame and have an extra set of wheels and tires for road rides. Hope that isn't too confusing and that it gives some help? If not give me a holler in my journal?