View Single Post
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-14, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

These are just stray thoughts about some differences between being a vegetarian and going paleo. On a post on MDA today he mentioned how some vegetarians throw up the first time they eat a steak in a long time -- not necessarily physical, more because they're violating a belief they held for so long that meat is so bad.

And this got me to thinking, isn't there a world of difference in the basis for many going paleo versus being a vegetarian/vegan? The latter is so often based on a belief system that meat is bad for your health/the planet or that eating animals is unethical or inhumane. The vegetarians I know well usually seem very proud of the fact that by not eating meat they're taking a higher path. It usually seems that the belief system precedes the health benefits, and they're motivated to not eat meat or other animal products because they've determined they're bad for people.

But for most here choosing a HFLC diet, whether it's low carb, paleo, or ketogenic, often is done because we have to redeem or preserve our health. It's simply a vital choice to preserve our stability and quality of life. I may think that grains as a food choice cause people problems now, but initially I just realized I had to avoid grains/carbs because they were so harmful to my health.

But is eating a steak harmful to a vegetarian's health? They may believe it is if they subscribe to the notion that animal fat is bad for you. But my guess is that a majority are more aligned with nebulous (and controversial) beliefs about how eating meat is just wrong spiritually and ecologically.

My own bias is that there's more "group-think" involved in vegetarian/vegan choices, and perhaps that those on the LC/paleo path have more depth in our beliefs because so many of us need to repair and maintain our health.

Just some ruminations here. I too know some vegetarians well who are intelligent people I respect, and I'd never try to change their minds or paths. But I think I worry more about how their aura of absolute rightness about their choices threatens my own path on a subtle level. I know what I'm doing is right for ME, they seem to think what they're doing should be right for everyone.